Dating a peace corps volunteer

Dating a peace corps volunteer

As long as we aren’t around other volunteers, we remain positive about the goodness in the world. Living 2 years on a monthly salary you probably make in a day is something we are totally comfortable with. We can watch ants for hours and fully understand why chickens are relatives to dinosaurs. We have read more books and watched more movies than what is healthy. We will not depend on you to spend every waking hour giving us attention. You’ll never hear volunteers complaining about designer labels or water pressure. “You should get married,” “I can find you a spouse,” and “Will you be my spouse?” are not uncommon phrases to the ears of single volunteers.It seems like everybody and their grandmother seems to think Peace Corps is some sort of marriage agency. I have seen a few PCVs pair off and even more marry Host Country Nationals.With only 10% of Peace Corps Volunteers being married when the enter service (stat [link]), the idea that the remaining 90% of us would pair off seemed a little unrealistic. I have talked with RPCVs and it seems like everybody has got a story of a couple that made it.In honor of Peace Corps’s 53rd anniversary, the focus is on love in the Peace Corps. It does not seem to matter if volunteers arrive single, dating someone long-distance, or married; they are in for a challenge.

It's natural to assume a Peace Corps Volunteer will go through some changes.

Anyway, my point being don't bank on finding that special someone in Peace Corps. The potential partner pool is small and you often don't get to spend quality alone time (unless you think crowds of 5 or more constitute being alone).

Awkwardness immediately springs to life when you watch people battle stomach issues or have mini-breakdowns because they cannot figure out how to pronounce the "g" with the little hat (gggghhhrr).

After all, they’ve spent 27 months dealing with some over-paid government employee’s enforcement of rules sent from Washington that were intended to apply to a small remote village the Washington employee has never been to.

Any returned Peace Corps volunteer can help you deal with that. Employers are always looking for returned Peace Corps volunteers. Employers know this and hire us with the knowledge we can handle anything they throw at us. (But commiserating with fellow volunteers happens all the time.) Deep down, we believe things can and will be better.

dating a peace corps volunteer-42dating a peace corps volunteer-6dating a peace corps volunteer-86

Then, you throw in the living in different communities, the focus on your work, and the attention you must give to cultural norms...

Join our conversation (63 Comments).
Click Here To Leave Your Comment Dating a peace corps volunteer.

Comments:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *